View products that support


Some of this information comes from the biographical file for pilot Heath, CH-265000-01, reviewed by me in the archives of the National Air & Space Museum (NASM), Washington, DC.


Your copy of the "Davis-Monthan Airfield Register" with all the pilots' signatures and helpful cross-references to pilots and their aircraft is available at the link. Or use this FORM to order a copy signed by the author. ISBN 978-0-9843074-0-1.


One side of Lady Heath's personality is found at this link, which summarizes her interactions with Will Rogers.

A good bridge to other web sources, as well as a nice photograph of Lady Mary, is available at this link.

This link describes and quotes from a 2004 biography written about Lady Mary Heath (nee: Sophie Eliott Lynn). There are two film clips of Lady Mary on this page, too.

This link describes Lady Mary's flying experiences in South Africa. The airplane pictured in this article, G-EBUG. was eventually purchased by Amelia Earhart.


FRESNO BEE, August 29, 1929. This issue presents an unusual number (ten) of aviation-related articles, all on the front page. Note, too, the anecdote by Will Rogers regarding how to locate an airfield.


Davis-Monthan Aviation Field Register
CulturalMotion PicturesFriendsNon Profit statusProducts and services
ReferencesPublicationsCollectionsGuest EditorsPress Coverage


Lady Mary Heath visited the Davis-Monthan Airfield on May 30th 1929. She was flying an Avian, registry 603E. She did not indicate an origin or a destination (see notation in right column), but she was westbound (page link). The Newark Star-Eagle of April 27, 1929 (“Lady Heath Starts Country Air Tour”) reports her dawn departure from the Pine Brook Airport for a tour of the U.S. piloting, “a new Whittlesworth Avian powered with a Cirrus four-in-line air cooled engine.” Her first stop was planned for Dayton, OH, with “several short hops” to the west coast. Image, left, from New York Sun, August 29, 1929.

Her airplane was being delivered to R.W. Simpson, Clover Field, Los Angeles, a west coast dealer. It carried the latest features, including the Handley-Paige slotted wing to prevent spins. She was flying under contract to sell American Cirrus engines, and to find out how the engine would behave through use of any grade of fuel or oil. Her contract would be over when she returned east.

Along the way on her trip, on May 2, 1929, The Star-Eagle reported (“Lady Heath In Crash”) a minor accident upon making a forced landing at Effingham, IL. The plane was damaged and repairs were made at Terre Haute, IN. She then continued her flight westward.

Fresno Bee, August 29, 1929
Fresno Bee, August 29, 1929

Her cross-country voyage was reported in this article from the British journal Flight of July 4, 1929 (p. 551), just about a month after she visited Tucson. There is a photograph in this article of Lady Heath standing next to large saguaro cactuses near Tucson. The article also mentions her meeting with Marvel Crosson, female flyer (not a Register pilot) killed in the 1929 Powder Puff Derby. Her brother, Joe Crosson, is a Register pilot.

Lady Heath enjoyed a meteoric career in aviation. Setting records, transport flying and accidents, as well as politics and three marriages, punctuated her life between 1928 and 1932. She first made headlines by flying solo from Capetown to London between February 12 and May 28, 1928. See the article, right, near the bottom ("Flew Across Africa").

On February 28, 1928 The New York Times reported an enroute incident during that record-setting flight (“Lady Heath Faints While Piloting Plane”). She made a forced landing while flying from Pretoria to Bulawayo on her way to Cairo. She realized she was suffering “sunstroke” and, “…altered her course toward the grasslands, shut off the engine and remembered no more until she awoke in a native hut with the occupants giving her a drink.” Her plane had flown to an uneventful landing in the grass while she was unconscious!

On July 11, 1928 the New York Tribune (“Lady Heath Sets Light Seaplane Altitude Mark”) reported her climb to 13,000 feet over the Rochester Airdrome, London in an all-metal Mussel light seaplane with a Cirrus engine. She was carrying fellow pilot Kathleen O’Brien. They ascended at 12:25 PM and descended at 2:14 PM. The flight was held under the auspices of the International Aeronautical Federation.

On July 27, 1928 she applied her piloting skills in a commercial job with Royal Dutch Airlines (New York Evening News: “Lady Heath Takes Job As Dutch Air Pilot”). Thirteen-months later she crashed her airplane through a roof near Cleveland, OH (Fresno Bee link, left sidebar).

At right, the article from the Fresno Bee of August 29, 1929 that describes that crash. She survived the accident caused, in part, by the fact that she had shut her engine off while practicing for a dead-stick landing contest at the 1929 National Air Races in Cleveland. Most conservative, modern pilots would not turn off a perfectly good-running engine. And they probably would not expose passengers to risk while doing this kind of practice.

Below, a brief news film of an interview with Lady Mary wherein she describes the aftermath of her accident. The film is ca. 1931.


Please direct your browser to some of the links in the left sidebar to review additional information about Lady Mary Heath. She was a hoot in any era.

Ironically, Lady Heath suffered a fall down the stairs of a double-decker bus in London. She passed away from her injuries in 1939. Her fortunes dwindling, contemporary newspapers reported that nobody knew her when she was taken to the hospital.


Dossier 2.4.21

THIS PAGE UPLOADED: 05/05 REVISED: 09/21/06, 04/14/08, 11/19/08, 12/15/08, 06/12/10

The Register

The May 31, 1929 morning edition summarized Lady Heath's visit to Tucson the previous day. She was treated royally, greeted by city and airport officials. The article actually documents her signing of the register!

She, "...taxied to near the field hangar, clad in a Leopard skin jacket and helmet climbed out to remain in Tucson for a day and night. She arrived from El Paso at 8:30 o'clock after a flight of three hours. At the register, Lady Heath signed her name, neither designating from whence she came nor her destination."

Click on the link to the Register page she signed (center column, top) to see, indeed, she entered none of this information, including dates.

Fresno Bee article courtesy of Mike Gerow.
Contact Us | Credits | Copyright © 2008 Delta Mike Airfield, Inc.
This website is best enjoyed in a 1024 x 768 screen resolution.
Web design by The Web Professional, Inc